Struggling with underemployment in an uncertain world? Feeling stressed out about money, debt, and the ever-present threat of eviction? In case the real world isn’t stressful enough, now’s your chance to enter a cubist nightmare “millennial sim” with Crap, I’m Broke: Out of Pocket from Molly Heady-Carroll and Erik van Wees — the Dutch dynamic duo of Arcane Circus!
A satirical take on being a grownup, Crap I’m Broke will let you scrub dishes, sort cans, and flip burgers for meager wages to keep the silent specter of Death at bay. Meanwhile, be sure to pay your rent and keep yourself fed and set enough aside to afford items that will let you land bigger, more lucrative jobs. The game still manages to keep things light and charming with a cool art style and a tongue-in-cheek look at the sort of living situation that would drive most people insane.
Crap! I’m Broke: Out of Pocket has received a number of accolades, including:
- Pocket Gamer: Silver Award (October 2016)
- App Store: “New Games We Love” 3x (October 2016)
- AMG Awards: Winner, “Best Mobile Game”; Nomination, “Best Game Concept” (October 2016)
- Gamescom: Indie Arena Exhibitor | Holland Pavilion Exhibitor (August 2016)
- GDC (SF): Dutch Showcase Exhibitor (March 2016)
- Pocket Gamer Connects: Top 5 Finalist, “The Very Big Indie Pitch” (January 2016)
- Apps World London: 3rd Place Winner, “The Big Indie Pitch” (November 2015)
Coverage can be found on Pocket Gamer (Silver award!), Inside Indie, MediaCraft, iOSnoops, TouchArcade and Android Authority.
Avoid budget shortfalls by dashing over to the App Store or Google Play!
More information on Arcane Circus and Crap! I’m Broke: Out of Pocket is available here.