“Geneshift looks pretty cool and appropriately wild.”
– Alex Newhouse (GameSpot)
GTA2-Inspired Shooter Geneshift Skids Its Way into Steam Early Access
Now available on Windows & Linux
SYDNEY – May 23, 2017 – After eight years in development, Ben Johnson’s indie action game Geneshift is finally available on Steam! Drive like a maniac in this top-down shooter with GTA2-style vehicles and MOBA-style skills. Do your worst in insanely fun single-player, online co-op, and PvP modes that harken back to the golden years of PC gaming.
Starting as a GTA2/Diablo mash-up, Geneshift eventually evolved into an action extravaganza with enough mutant skills to give Professor Xavier a headache. The turning point came in 2014 when the game was Greenlit on Steam. Solo developer Ben Johnson of Nik Nak Studios decided to quit his day job and go full-time. However, Australia was expensive – so he packed his bags and moved somewhere cheaper: Peru. There, he worked with limited savings until the game was completed; now, after eight years of development, Geneshift has finally reached Steam Early Access.
Geneshift puts you behind the wheel of a number of crazy vehicles – letting you detonate car bombs and fire out windows for drive-by shootings. Play as a mutant and unlock more than 30 tactical skills such as teleportation, invisibility, and fireballs. Stop a zombie outbreak in the single-player and co-op campaigns – earning cash to level up your character – or face other players in bloody PvP combat. Hop online and play competitively in Conquest, Checkpoint Racing, and Capture the Flag – or compete in leaderboards by speedrunning the campaign as fast as possible.
Feeling more creative than destructive? Make your own sandbox in the built-in level editor: If other people play your level, you’ll unlock special cosmetic items!
“When I started working on Geneshift all those years ago, I had no idea I’d still be going eight years later. But the community kept coming up with amazing new ideas,” says Ben Johnson, founder of Nik Nak Studios. “Their feedback has been essential to Geneshift’s development, and I can’t wait to finally share our creation with a larger audience!”
- 5v5 multiplayer combat: Battle in game modes such as Capture the Flag, Checkpoint Racing, and Zombie Survival.
- 4-player co-op campaign: Play the story solo or with friends online – and save the world from a mysterious outbreak.
- Insane vehicle action: Ride with allies to commit drive-by shootings, detonate car bombs, and capture key objectives.
- 20+ brutal weapons: Fire pistols, shotguns, snipers, explosives … or save up for deadly superweapons.
- 30+ tactical skills: Create complex skill builds as you gain experience and permanently level up your mutant.
- Secret base-building: Place hidden chemicals to gain secret benefits such as spying on enemies and teleportation.
- Leaderboards and difficulties: Replay the campaign in 4 difficulty levels, and set high scores on various leaderboards.
- User-generated maps: Create maps in the editor and unlock kick-ass cosmetics whenever your maps are played.
Pricing & Availability
Geneshift is now available on Steam Early Access (Windows/Linux) for $7.99 – a 20% discount lasting through May 29. A demo is also available on the Steam store – providing free access to multiplayer without time restrictions. On May 30 (a week from launch), Geneshift returns to its original retail price of $9.99.
Screenshots & Logos
Nik Nak Studios
About Nik Nak Studios
Nik Nak Studios was founded in Sydney, Australia by sole developer Ben Johnson. A demo of Geneshift was first released online in 2009 under the name of Subvein. In 2014, the game was Greenlit on Steam – which prompted Ben to quit his job and go full-time. However, Australia was too expensive – so he chose to work somewhere cheaper: Peru. There, on the other side of the world, he spent the next two years living cheap and finishing the game on his dwindling savings. Finally, after eight years of development, Geneshift is now available on Steam. To learn more about Nik Nak Studios and Geneshift, please visit http://niknakstudios.com/geneshift.php.