“I can only recommend this highly to all platform lovers out there.”
– Timmy Adriaens (Gaming Boulevard)
Gamester81’s Sydney Hunter and the Curse of the Mayan celebrates Día de los Muertos with a 50% discount on Nintendo Switch & Steam
CollectorVision Games’ retro platformer Sydney Hunter and the Curse of the Mayan is celebrating Día de los Muertos and Halloween with a massive sale and quality-of-life improvements!
Today, the Nintendo Switch and Steam versions will drop to a wallet-friendly $9.99. The brainchild of John Lester AKA Gamester81 on YouTube, Sydney Hunter and the Curse of the Mayan will remain on sale through Monday, November 10. (The Nintendo of Europe sale will run November 11-24.)
Game Manual (‘80s-style, for that extra dose of nostalgia):
Want to review Sydney Hunter and the Curse of the Mayan?
But wait – there’s more! The Steam version has been further polished after some early feedback; the Switch port will match the Steam version once it passes Lot Check.
- Updated Controls: Added a keyboard mapping option and changed controller default controls so both Y and A are now assigned to Attack. The “Up + Attack” feature – intended for those using the awesome NES-style Switch controller – is now disabled by default (preventing accidental use by those using the standard controllers).
- Improved Difficulty Balance: The game is now more forgiving; players remain invincible a little longer after taking a hit – and a brand new save spot has been included at a convenient location early in the game.
About Sydney Hunter and the Curse of the Mayan
In this pixel-perfect homage to Commodore 64’s classic Montezuma’s Revenge, you play as Sydney Hunter – an explorer who gets trapped inside a Mayan pyramid while he’s out exploring! He soon discovers that the “Feathered Serpent” Kukulkan has broken up the sacred Haab calendar into seven individual pieces and has hidden them inside a pyramid.
Widespread chaos and a time freeze will certainly follow if the Haab calendar isn’t located and put back together. With the support of the local Mayan population, Sydney Hunter must now find all seven pieces of the Haab calendar, defeat Kukulkan, and return peace and balance to the Mayan civilization.
Are you ready to beat the Curse of the Mayan?
- Play through a challenging single-player campaign inspired by Mayan gods, culture, and history.
- Unearth two different endings!
- Enjoy 8-bit style graphics accompanied by an awesome chiptune soundtrack.
- Battle against 13 powerful Mayan gods and mini-bosses.
- Collect relics & weapon upgrades to increase your chances of survival!
Pricing & Availability
Sydney Hunter and the Curse of the Mayan is available on Steam and the Nintendo Switch. To celebrate Día de los Muertos/Halloween, the game will be discounted by 50% October 28 through November 10 – dropping $10.00 from $19.99 to $9.99. (The Nintendo of Europe sale will start a little later – running November 11-24 on each country’s eShop.)
About the Sydney Hunter Series
Sydney Hunter was introduced in 2013 in Sydney Hunter and the Shrines of Peril for the Intellivision and mobile devices. In addition to Sydney Hunter and the Curse of the Mayan, games in the Sydney Hunter franchise include Sydney Hunter and the Sacred Tribe (ColecoVision, Commodore 64, Intellivision, Sega Master System) and Sydney Hunter and the Caverns of Death (ColecoVision, Super Nintendo Entertainment System).
About CollectorVision Games
Founded in 2009, CollectorVision Games is an independent studio, publisher, and manufacturer of retro games. With more than 100 games developed so far, CollectorVision Games has been creating new games for classic consoles including the ColecoVision, Intellivision, Nintendo Entertainment System (NES), Super Nintendo Entertainment System (SNES), Sega Master System, and more. Sydney Hunter and the Curse of the Mayan is the first game developed by CollectorVision Games for modern platforms – with plans for more in the future. The studio has offices in both Montreal, Canada and in Phoenix, Arizona. To learn more about CollectorVision Games and Sydney Hunter and the Curse of the Mayan, please visit https://collectorvision.com.
Do you have questions for Gamester81/John Lester? Want to review the game and need a Switch code or Steam key? That’s what we’re here for 🙂